Re: 2N charging system (again!)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Frysinger on October 10, 2017 at 08:08:00 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: 2N charging system (again!) posted by Tim Daley(MI) on October 10, 2017 at 05:50:11:

Tim, many thanks for your thorough response! The reason I got the new gen was so that I could keep the tractor in service without a big down period. I do plan to have the old one rebuilt, but you're right - I was disappointed about the mounting holes in the new one. My measurements are with a ca. late '70s auto multitester (Sears I think), so def not digital, but I don't remember how to use it to test the output current, though there is an alternator mode on it. I guess I should scratch my head harder about remembering/relearning how to do that.

The battery is only a few years old, but I've been "deep cycling" it, i.e. charging it and running the tractor, so I suppose that's a possible weak link. The wiring seems good - I know the wire from the gen to the cutout is a good conductor, and the tractor runs fine (and I have no lights). The only thing I'm not sure about is the ammeter, which has been parked a smidge left of center for several years.

I polarized by crossing a jumper between the two leads of the cutout. I did it both with the ignition off and on, as I wasn't sure.

I didn't know anything about adjustments on the gen itself. It's got a single stud on the back plate (so it's a three brush, right?). So, I guess I'll do the motoring test on it (which should also certainly polarize it), learn how to measure output current, and then make the gen adjustments you suggest.

Tim, you've given me new hope! I appreciate your thoughtful reply!
Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]