2N charging system (again!)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Frysinger on October 09, 2017 at 19:32:24 [URL] [DELETE] :

Folks, I've run out of clues, or I wouldn't trouble you with yet another charging problem.

My old friend (~30 yrs) 2N (6volt) hasn't been charging for a long time. A year or so ago I raised this here, and after some diagnostics decided to replace the generator and cut-out. I did the cutout last year, but just got around to installing the generator (Yesterday's Tractors) a few weeks ago. That was an adventure, because the mounting bracket holes in its body weren't quite in the right place, but I managed.

Disconnected, I got some voltage out of the generator, though it varied wildly from nil up to 8 volts. (I took that variation to be a flaky meter connection, but maybe not?)

Since I had a pretty new cutout already, I tried connecting to the cutout, polarized, and started it up. No voltage on the generator stud, nothing on the ammeter, and no variation of the battery voltage with engine speed - stays at ~4 volts. I tested the continuity of the wire between the gen and the cutout, and it's good. So I decided to put in a NEW new cutout (since the previous was last year).

Still no dice, and now I don't show any voltage on the gen stud even disconnected. I can't believe something happened to the new gen, but if you think that's possible I'll take it off and do a motor test.

Other than that, is there something else I should try? Is there a way to test a new cutout on the bench to make sure it works? I bought two this last time, having read some folks' bad experiences with poor quality replacements.

Thanks much! Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]