Re: starter flywheel problem.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on September 25, 2017 at 17:10:13 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: starter flywheel problem. posted by Tinkerer60 on September 25, 2017 at 12:42:31:

The I&T F-04 Manual is a must. A MPC (Master Parts Catalog), Operator's Manual, and DC Parts Manual are also needed in your library. The lime-green 8N Service Manual for Dealers & mechanics is pretty good as well with a few major R&R areas detailed and a complete technical list in the back. It only covers the 48 and 49 early 8N though. Just because a manual a has a 'picture' of an 8N on it doesn't mean it is. Many aftermarket companies copy pages from some of the originals and reprint. Now, based on your statements, I would think your issues are related to this 12-volt conversion you have, probably bad wiring and/or incorrect components -i.e. alternator. One thing at a time though. I concur with Bruce on buying new parts off ebay -don't. Used parts are OK as they can be rebuilt over and over -that's the way they were engineered. Any new part can be bought at Just8Ns or Carpenter or Steiners or a few others -they are usually the same supplier. You can also get reprints of the original manuals there too. Is your 1950 8N early with the front mount distributor or later with the angle-mount? Starter nowadays have the newer type Bendix drives on them -is that what you have? Your flywheel will stop in two places when engine shut down, 180 apart, one or the other. I'd stop right now trying to spin the flywheel/ringgear with a screwdriver before your really do start breaking gear teeth off. You can search the archives here for more info on the Bendix drives. Then determine you have the correct parts installed for your model year. Do not just start tossing all new parts into the mix like new carbs, and such. You need to define the true root cause before any parts are bought, if any are really needed at all. Start by going to JMOR's WIRING PICTOGRAMS -SEE LINK - and scroll down til you find your setup. he shows all the CORRECT ways to wire these old N's 6 volt or 12 volt so download a copy, take it to your shop and scrutinize it closely. Do not deviate from it whatsoever.

FORD 8N ESSENTIAL MANUALS:

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]