Re: starter flywheel problem.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bruce (VA) on September 25, 2017 at 13:06:02 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: starter flywheel problem. posted by Tinkerer60 on September 25, 2017 at 12:42:31:

" . I have purchased starters bendix and carburetor from Ebay. I'm on my third Bendix"

You have two problems here.

First off, you are buying new parts when yours can be rebuilt. Iíve been working on old cars, trucks & tractors now for over 50 years. Whenever possible, I get OEM component parts rebuilt. Given the high probability that any new component part purchased for an N tractor is made somewhere overseas w/o adequate quality control, chances are very good that you will be disappointed. If you do not have a local rebuild shop, give these guys a call for a quote & shipping info:

Automotive Manufacturers Inc
2400 N Lombardy St Richmond, VA 23220
(804) 321-6861

They do mail order work. They rebuild carbs, clutches, pressure plates, water pumps, alternators, generators, starters & reline brakes.

Your next problem is buying parts off of eBay. Try Just8N's or Dennis Carpenter for new parts if what you have can not be rebuilt.

As to the flywheel, just look up 'clutch replacement ' in your I&T FO4 manual (see tip # 39) Once you get the clutch and p/p off, 4 bolts hold the flywheel on to the crankshaft.

I understand about the loader......so just rebuild everything while you are in there.

See tips 12 & 59 before you split it.

Check the ring gear & replace it if need be.

Have the flywheel resurfaced.

I'd have the clutch & p/p rebuilt. And I'd replace the t/o & pilot bearings & front transmission seal while I was in there.

Use the main shaft as your clutch alignment tool.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]