starter flywheel problem.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tinkerer60 on September 25, 2017 at 12:42:31 [URL] [DELETE] :

Greetings,
This is also about the wonderful world of Ford 8n owning. I started working on up until that time an incredibly reliable ford 8n 1950 with a front end loader. I have had a year of learning the hard way about 8n repair. In fixing one thing another would break. Sometimes age and sometimes my blundering. I purchased a IT manual and another manual with a picture of the 8n on it. I have purchased starters bendix and carburetor from Ebay. I'm on my third bendix. I have inspected my flywheel for damage and have not found any missing teeth and it does not look terribly worn. At least not enough to cause a slippage that would in turn break a spindle on the Bendix. Yet the tractor will turn over a few times. Once it tries to start the next time I try and start it I get a whining free gear sound. By manually turning the flywheel a few times ( increments of moving a few teeth nothing more using a screwdriver and the timing plate hole.) it will turn over again each time I do this it gets harder to get it to engage the starter; until It will engage no more. I have had to replace the distributor gear and everything else on this 12 volt system. In addition, to fuel lines and a new carb. Being a front end loader splitting this tractor will be a very involved process. In addition, I cannot find in the manuals the steps in replacing or getting to the flywheel. Nor can I find any info on the front loader taking it apart. I don't want to go the route on this learn as you go. I'm hoping someone might have another idea before I take apart the hydraulic system and split the tractor. Like do I really need to do that? I'm a one man repair, Friends that would help me with this are far away. Also, parts, are the Ithink their labeled Thecho or something like that after market parts any good? Is that why I'm loosing so many Bendix? Thanks for reading all of this.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]