Octagon Barn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on September 11, 2017 at 19:05:28 [URL] [DELETE] :

Here are some pictures from this past weekends’ annual Fall Family Farm Festival at the Thumb Octagon Barn in Gagetown, Michigan. A unique piece of architecture, the barn was built with steam and gas powered tractors running sawmills and such –no Home Depot around then to go buy lumber. My grandfather and his brother were part of the crew that built the Barn as well as other structures in town and area like St. Agatha’s Church, also in Gagetown. I met and talked with an elderly lady who is the Barn historian and we are going to get together some quieter day to go over photos and history books. I also met several new Ford Tractor guys and gals as well. The Barn has a few Ford Tractors pulling the shuttle wagons around. I met one older fella who had, what he called his dads’ 1941 9N. It was painted entirely with Ford 8N Medium Grey paint. When I was talking with him I politely told him it was painted wrong, that it should be the Ford 9N Dark Grey, often mistakenly called battleship grey. “No, no, no…” he fired back. “This is how it was when dad bought it new in ’41!”. Rather than argue with him I then started pointing out features that were not on the ’41 model –oval tube radius rods for one. Then the most obvious one was the engine block casting code: “ D 6 4 ” which denotes April 6, 1944 when the block was cast. He then said he thinks the engine was replaced at some time, but wouldn’t budge on his paint color belief. This is how myths get perpetuated and handed down through families. I gave him my card and said we could get together some day and I’d bring all my books to go over the Ford Tractors as he doesn’t live that far from me.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]