841 Died and Won't Start

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John (AL) on August 27, 2017 at 19:26:40 [URL] [DELETE] :

Hello, long time, no post.

So, I went out to move a plow this afternoon. I knew my battery was near the end of its life, so I had it on a charger for the past several days, but it cranked right up and I was able to hitch up the plow (a 10-80 turning plow). The plow was raised and I was just about to get back on the tractor and ride when the engine sputtered quickly and died. Tried to crank it again and all I could hear was the solenoid making a click like the switch was engaged.

It's a 12v conversion and I hadn't increased the throttle to activate the alternator, so I assumed that the weak battery had finally caught up to me and I went and bought a new battery and installed it. Multi-tester shows 12+v. This time, same thing: solenoid clicks, starter doesn't respond. Tried connecting a jumper cable from positive battery terminal to the starter and got no response, other than a slight spark. I did notice that there appeared to be a slight puff of smoke from the battery side post on the solenoid when the starter switch was engaged.

My supposition is that the started solenoid has gone bad, but I would have thought that going around it with a direct line from the battery would have at least made the starter turn.

Is the solenoid the likely culprit or am I missing something?

Thanks for the help.

1962 841 Powermaster; 12v pos ground; new battery, fully charged; half a tank of gas, plenty of fuel flow.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]