Re: timing screw

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Larry Holbrook on August 23, 2017 at 11:54:06 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: timing screw posted by Tim Daley(MI) on August 23, 2017 at 10:59:15:

I just meant the timing adjustment there. Most of the things I read say don't mess with it and just put the points in. It should be correct. When I put mine in and tried to set the points as it said I didn't have the right gap. Had to move the sliding adjustment. Got them set and everything is fine. This was about a year ago. Put the high quality Blue Streak in from NAPA. What confusing to me is this. Did I set them right? Advanced or retarded? This is from the How To Section. If the points don't begin to open loosen the screw and slide the timing plate to retard or advance. That is what I had to do. Not sure what way I went. What should it be retard or advance? I just remember I had to loosen and slide it a ways and was kind of shocked at the time. I'll copy and paste. The last sentence is confusing.

Place a straightedge on the wide side of the tang on the distributor shaft as shown in the photo. Rotate the distributor shaft in the normal direction until the straight edge is 1/4" away from the outside edge of the distributor mounting hole. The distributor points should just be starting to open. If not, adjust the timing plate position to advance or retard the timing.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]