Starter and timing problems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tinkerer60 on August 18, 2017 at 12:28:56 [URL] [DELETE] :

First off, I am thankful for all of the positive input I have received here on my starter problem. We last left our mentally challenged self proclaimed shade tree guru ( me ). I was pretty sure reading your replies that I would have to replace the flywheel. On further investigation ( and finding no teeth that were damaged enough to cause the catastrophic failure of the bendix on the starter) I found that if timing was not correct and there was a backfire, and since my 8n is a 12 volt conversion, and a front loader attachment. Then there is a higher probability that a backfire would be of enough force to shatter said bendix.
Being on my third starter I needed to regroup. I set my points and gaps according to the specs I have at the required gaps. Now I have re-read all the info I can find on setting the timing. My timing went out when my shear pin on my starter gear sheared off.

The steps needed to set timing I have garnished is: Find TDC.

Adjust distributor so that the points are about to open on the first cylinder.

Setting points I have found online 015. plugs at .015. done.

What else could I be missing that would cause backfire at starting cycle? All coil wiring points cap plugs are brand spanky new.

As always look forward to you guys informative if not often humorous input. I know on this vehicle I'm a newbie. I'm having to go back to the stuff my Dad taught me on "by ear" tune-ups. I think he would be having a good belly yuck-up at my antics. He was a foreman at the International Harvester repair shop. :)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]