Re: how new should I go?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ultradog MN on August 08, 2017 at 18:17:03 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: how new should I go? posted by Russ Moser on August 08, 2017 at 16:35:03:

I've owned a couple of Ns, a few Hundreds and several of the 3 cylinder Thousand series. The 3000 and 3600 are my favorite tractor. Plenty of power, nimble, lots of options, reliable, not hard to work on, good parts availability and very familiar to someone who's previously owned a Ford. All of your cat 1 implements will fit except for 2 that I know of - the cordwood saw will not fold up properly like it will on an N and your rear loader will likely not work on one. Reason: the geometry on the lower lift arms is slightly different. If you get one skip the 4 speed transmission and hold out for one with a 6 or 8 speed. Most 8 speeds will have live pto. Some 6 sp will. And if possible hold out for one with power steering.
I have both lpto and PS on my 3000. But if I could only have one I would definately take PS over lpto. The 3 cylinder 2000 is almost identical to a 3000 so keep an eye out for one of those too. They are almost identical machines. 3000 has a couple (4?) more ponies and was usually optioned better.
Any of them can be had either gas or diesel. Don't despise a diesel. They are very good. Never, ever trust the hours on a 65-75 2/3/4/5000 unless you actually see the numbers turn over with your OWN EYES. The proof meters on them failed early and often. They up graded the proof meters on the 76-83 2600/3600 so those are usually accurate. If you are near central Minnesota, stop by some weekend and I'll put you on my 3000 D with 6' rotary mower for an hour or two. You will like it a lot.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]