Re: Gasket, sediment bowl

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bruce (VA) on April 28, 2017 at 21:39:45 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Gasket, sediment bowl posted by murray2 on April 28, 2017 at 20:40:10:

Turn the knob off fully, remove the bowl & carefully check the groove in the top of the assembly for dirt/crud/old gasket material. Most leaks on a new gasket are caused by:

1. An incorrectly seated gasket.

2. An incorrectly seated screen.

3. A screen just slightly too big . (get out the scissors)

4. Using gasket sealer

5. Incorrect assembly of the screen/gasket

Don't forget to check the bowl rim for chips; if it's chipped, you will never get it to stop leaking. Clean or replace the screen. You can get both the cork gasket & the screen from TSC; p/n 0237144. A cork gasket will work if you soak it first in gas, but I like rubber. Check out tip # 10 at the link below for the correct NAPA part number. However, the newer ones aren't as thick as the old ones and the price is now $4 each. I've got the new ones to work, but it takes a few tries. And, at $4 for a thinner gasket, I'm not planning on using the NAPA gaskets anymore.

Look at the bowl; see the groove in the lip? That's for the screen. Put it in there & make sure it does not extend over the lip. If it does, trim it, but not too much or it will fall in the bowl. See the square hole in the screen? That because it needs it fit around the square fuel port in the top of the bowl when you assemble it. The gasket goes on next, on the lip of the bowl. Once you get it assembled on the tractor, hand tighten the thumb screw. (if it make you feel better, turn it about 1/8 turn w/ channel lock; no more, or you will distort the bail) Turn the gas on & look at the bowl. If it starts to fill the bowl, turn the gas off & start over; it has a leak.
You will know it's sealed when gas does not flow into the bowl w/ the engine off. It won't fill with the bowl securely on because the float has closed the needle valve in the carb and there is nowhere for the air in the bowl to escape. (assuming the carb bowl is full) When the engine is started the needle valve will open and the trapped air will escape through the carb vent. If you loosen the bowl, it will fill.....and leak.

All of the above assumes you have an style OEM sediment bowl. If not, I'd get one because a lot of the off-shore replacements never work right & the gaskets are odd-sized.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]