8N engine rebuild

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by IceChickenx on March 13, 2017 at 08:49:19 [URL] [DELETE] :

Not sure where to begin my inquiry. I've rebuilt a lot of things except for transmissions. I have replaced motors, heads and the like. I've never gone as far as pistons, crankshafts and valves. I'm eager to learn and not afraid of "failure".

1) If I suspect my motor needs a rebuild, how involved should it be?
I thought I read somewhere that these engines were designed to be rebuilt easily and quickly, especially if you worked them hard.
2) Is a compression test the first order of business?
If so, depending on the results, is a partial rebuild/renew acceptable (pending budget). Meaning if it appears new valves are in order OR only piston rings renewed...can either/or be "fixed" without doing the other? OR is this the typical, "if you are in it that far, you might as well do it all" bit...
3) Is it as "easy" as following the F&T manual and the Mechanics Shop Manual?
4) What is the expected time involved? Is this a winter rebuild or a couple of months? Is it stupid to find another motor, rebuild it and swap the rebuild for the worn?
5) Is Just8n's the best place for parts?

I'm ordering a sleeve puller/installer set. Any other specially tools needed? I have a press and lots of hand tools and muscle. I do not have a lathe.

As I've said before, this site has been a valuable resource b/c my Gpa is not available for consult (he died long before I was able to get the tractor back in the family).

Lastly, be patient. I may ask a lot of dumb questions, but I'm not a millennial (meaning, I don't wear my feelings on my sleeve and I like to be taught HOW to do something, I don't like people doing things for me).

I look forward to everyone's responses and finding out how much I don't know!

Israel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]