Re: Battery

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bruce (VA) on March 04, 2017 at 16:09:39 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Battery posted by Tony in Tx on March 04, 2017 at 13:13:37:

The original 6V battery is Group Size 1 - 9-1/8 (L) x 7-1/8 (W) x 9-3/8 (H).

12V Group 25 & Group 35 batteries are just slightly smaller at 9-1/16 x 6-7/8 x 8-7/8.

When I purchased my 1951 8N, in October, 2002, it came w/ a Deka, model 901MF (made by East Penn). The date code on the battery was April, 2000. I'm not sure how the PO maintained the battery the first two years of its life, but given the overall condition of the tractor when I purchased it, my bet is it sat unused most of the time.
I always run the N's to operating temp every 3 or 4 weeks if they haven't been used. To make sure the battery doesn't discharge, all the N's now have Battery Tender float chargers. (And that will extend the life of any battery because it stops them from discharging.)

I also keep everything "clean, bright & tight", use the braided strap & 00 gauge negative cable.

So, in addition to it being a well made battery, doing everything else right probably helped this battery to make it 8 years & 6 months!

It finally refused to turn the 1951 over in Sept 2008, so I replaced it w/ a new one. Another Deka, model 901MF. Itís still in the tractor today, no problems.

Got a Batteries & Bulbs store near you? They sell Duracell 6v batteries.....also made by East Penn. $75 w/ exchange, 640 CCA. They also sell Group 25 & 35 Duracell batteries for $119, and Battery Tender float chargers for $35.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]