Re: The POOP on LOOPS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on March 04, 2017 at 07:10:24 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: The POOP on LOOPS posted by Joel W on March 03, 2017 at 21:20:47:

Yes, good point Joel. The hex bolts also used the 33806-S7 5/8 Hex Nuts as well, again with 1-1/16" AF. I should also point out that I had been told the loops were cast iron but I seriously doubt it. They were most likely cast steel as cast iron would be too brittle to use in that application, in my opinion. The rivets too are not dome/round headed, rather flat headed. There was a fella a few years ago in the N-News who made his own and I believe Steve Dabrowski made a set or is the process of making his own as well for his early 9N. More listing errors the seller makes is about the dash gauges. The ones on this tractor are not original. They are aftermarket and the ammeter should be the 20/20 screw terminal style, used up til s/n 4000 when they changed to the induction LOOP style. Also, the left lift arm should be threaded/adjustable, probably used up til the end of the aluminum hood production run at s/n 700/800, but yet another item that fell thru the cracks. I can't tell by the poor pictures, but he lists the 'correct, small generator' too, yet it's unclear if it is the 'A' or 'B' generator. It should be the 'A' and be using the rectangular Voltage Regulator, but, bad photos makes it questionable. The 'B' generator would use the round can cutout with the retro-fit installation kit. The four spoke steering wheel and the horizontal bar aluminum grille are most likely the new repop styles, but that is one area we originality restorers will allow slide as we know how hard it is to find good originals. I don't think the seller really knows what he has. As stated previously, he's just in it for the $$$. He's only listing what he was told . That is a common error made by many tractor sellers and buyers. How many times have we heard, "...well, it had a Krinchmeyer Knob on it when dad had it so it must be original..."? Just a FYI, when the Hat Rims were introduced, they went to the 5/8-18 x 2-11/16" Round Head/Square Shoulder (i.e. special Carriage Bolt)to secure center discs to wheel rims. They also used the 351505-S7 special size 5/8 flat washer and the 33806-S7 5/8 Hex Nut as well.

Tim *PloughNman* Daley(MI)

*9N653I* & *8NI55I3*

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]