Re: Remmoving 8n dist

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on February 28, 2017 at 17:23:27 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Remmoving 8n dist posted by jhill52 on February 28, 2017 at 12:23:39:

Is the tractor with the original 6-volt/positive ground system or has a 12-volt convulsion be done or EI added? Wiring pictograms can be found in our HOW-TO's, subcategory ELECTRCAL. Do you have an I&T F-04 Manual or a 8N Operator's Manual? You can get the tune-up procedure in those. We also have a ton if info here in our HOW-TO's forum, like this document -click on LINK. What Bruce said below, as well as his 75 Tips for N-Owners, you can copy the text and paste it in a WORD document then save to your computer for reference, print off a copy and take to the shop. Now, since I have XXXXL hands, I found it easier to first loosen the generator, then slip the belt up over the fan out of the way and drop the generator down out of the way. You don't need to take the generator (or alternator if 12 V) completely off just move clear so you can get your paws in there to work. Before doing anything, I first disconnect the battery ground strap so there's no accidental shorting out. Then I will clean off dirt and crud with compressed air. Blow out the spark plug wells real good to as you may want to put new plugs in as well. Loosen the single wire fastened to top of coil. I find it easier to leave the coil mounted to the top of the distributor and remove it when I get the unit on my workbench or kitchen table, but some fellas prefer to pull the coil before removing the unit. Remove the 4 spark plug wires from the carb cap nipples. May want to mark each one with a strip of masking tape so you don't get them mixed. Take a 1/2" combination wrench and loosen the two hex bolts neither side of the housing, then remove the unit from the tractor. New points are gapped at .015" so get those installed and set first. Install new condensor. Check wiring, then set timing last. The manuals detail how to set timing but nowadays there is fella here who makes and sells a little application gage specifically for setting the timing on these front mounts. His Name is Dan Allen and goes by the handle TOH (The Old Hokie) and has a web site, windy ridge farms, you can find in our LINKS. It makes setting the timing faster and easer and worth every penny. Be sure you get the correct gasket kit too, p/n 9N-12104 -there are 4 gaskets required and a new rotor as well.

Essential Ford 8N Manuals:

Front Mount Distributor Gasket Set; p/n 9N-12104:

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]