Re: battery education in need

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on February 23, 2017 at 17:31:09 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: battery education in need posted by Don B. on February 22, 2017 at 16:49:23:

Don-
Do you have an original or a copy of the I&T F04 Ford 9N, 2N, & 8N Manual? Even a Ford Operator's Manual will have the procedure in it. If you have never done a tune-up, now's your big chance to learn. You will need a 1/2" wrench for the two hex bolts that secure the unit onto the tractor. I'm just giving basics here so get a manual to ensure no steps are skipped. First step is to disconnect the ground battery cable from battery. Next, remove the small hex nut that secures the coil wire onto the stud on top of coil. Pull plug wires off the cap nipples. Remove 2 plug wires from holder visible on right side near generator/alternator. At this point I want to say that when I do mine, I always loosen my generator and slip the belt up over the fan out of the way, then slacken the generator out of the way, as I have extra large hands and it is just easier for me to work on removing the distributor. You can remove the coil at this point too but I prefer to leave it intact til I get the unit off and on my table. The coil is held on by a bail that snaps up over top of it. Then take your 1/2" wrench and remove the two hex bolts on the distributor body holding it on. The whole unit then can be taken to your workbench to perform the tune-up steps. I usually try to clean off most of the grease and dirt before I start to do anything after battery disabling. The instructions from here are in the manuals as described above. The timing procedure is important but now we have a neat little gage that TOH makes and sells to make setting the timing faster and easier. You can find him in our LINKS forum under windyridgefarms. If you don't feel up to the challenge, you can send the distributor to me and I will perform the tune up and you just pay for parts and shipping. My email is open...

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]