Re: Which plow to keep??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on February 15, 2017 at 06:29:02 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Which plow to keep?? posted by Bruce(OR) on February 14, 2017 at 21:55:54:

Which plow to keep depends on what you intend to use it for. Any early Ferguson-Sherman or Dearborn 10" and/or 12" plow will be very difficult to find parts for, namely shares. If you want a working plow, then as Harold explains, whichever has the best scouring parts now and works best. If you intend to have a show plow, the F-S is period correct for an early 9N or 2N and the Dearborn for an 8N. When I use to collect Dearborn equipment I had 17 plows at one time. I never paid more tan $250 for one and most were complete with coulters AND jointers. Nowadays prices have gotten ridiculous and fellas are asking $350-$950 for these plows and some are missing vital parts like the rolling landside/tailwheel, which is necessary in order to plow correctly with. Th e coulters and jointers on both F-S and Dearborn early plows were supplied by the same source so they are interchangeable but no other plow parts on them are. You don't need those parts in order to plow with but for a show plow, they make the plow more original. Look at the main beam on the F-S plow and see if there is a 'FORD' script logo cats into it. That makes it more valuable IMHO. F-S plows have a prefix to determine Model Number: 10 = 10"; 12 = 12"; and 14 = 14". The Dearborn Modes all begin with the number '10' in their model number. A 10-10 i a 10" plow; a 10-8 is a 12" plow; and a 10-1 is a 14" plow. I have a Dearborn 10-8 plow, the 12" model, in my collection I restored and it is just a show plow. If the plows you are looking fit your criteria AND are complete, I would not pay more the $250 myself but that's me.

1948 8N and Dearborn 10-8 Plow - Tim Daley Owner/Operator:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]