53 Jubilee fluid leak

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Blackriver on February 09, 2017 at 20:57:58 [URL] [DELETE] :

I have a 53 Jubilee that I bought last fall. This is my first ever tractor, so my experience is limited. My wife and I bought a small 30 acre farm, and we bought the tractor to use there, but we are still in the process of building a home on the acreage, and the tractor has been parked in my shed and has only seen light use, just being driven around the block a little. I go out and start it a couple times a week, and always check fluids and coolant. The tractor had a small pinhole leak in the radiator, and I took the hood off to see about repairing it. I used some Bars Leaks in the radiator and it seemed to seal the hole. But when I was running the tractor to warm the engine I noticed fluid dripping from the bellhousing at a pretty steady rate. On closer inspection it seems to be coming from around the starter, and a little is also coming from the peep hole on the other side that is used to view timing marks on the flywheel. I had noticed a little fluid on the ground before, but I thought I had a leaking hydraulic line. Problem is, due to my inexperience I can't really tell if the fluid is engine oil or trans fluid or what....my uncle thought it could also be coolant but it doean't really look like coolant to me. It's kind of a dirty, oily fluid. A friend suggested I change all the fluids, which I did, and I checked the cotter pin drain underneath the tractor, and it leaks fluid a little. The fluid only seems to leak when the tractor is running. I've searched the web and found that it could be the rear main seal, input shaft seal, or leaking freeze plug...I could sure use some insight if anyone has any to give!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]