Re: Getting the land toys out....later.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on February 08, 2017 at 17:21:07 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Getting the land toys out....later..... posted by Bruce(OR) on February 08, 2017 at 10:04:03:

Well, glad to see you are keeping busy getting things in the planning mode anyway. I'd wait until doc clears you on waivers first before performing any actual physical labor. I had hernia surgery several years ago, got antsy after a few days and went out and wrestled with my loaded 8N rear tires. Woke up the next morning with oozing and bleeding from the incision. I had split the wound open and they had to go back in for repairs. My advice to prepare a field that hasn't been open in many years is to first do a walk over the area on foot to get an actual 'feel' for what may lie hidden in the brush. I failed to do this once on a food plot a guy wanted and lo and behold hidden in the weeds were a few old car parts and I sliced a good tire not knowing. Large boulders/rocks above ground can be removed and large tree trunks and downfall too. Roots you won't know about until you plow. Be aware that those may be near large trees so be cautious. A good brush hogging first will help. I've dove into over grown farmland with just a 2-bottom plow many times and had no problems. Your soil condition may dictate how to proceed. Once weeds are mowed down, then just plow with at least a 2-bottom, more if you have a bigger hp tractor. A disc plow will do a great job too. Once land is plowed, Irun a disc harrow to smooth out and break up lumps. Final prep is to run a spring tooth drag around to further smooth out and level area ready to plant. I don't see any need to run a cultivator nor spike tooth -the disc will chop up all the sod clumps and a cultivator won't do much for roots submerged-the plowing will handle those better. just my thoughts and usually how I do it...

Tim *PloughNman* Daley(MI)

*9N653I* & *8NI55I3*

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]