Restoring a Ferguson plow

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Implements Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles Krammin on March 09, 2018 at 11:59:18 [URL] [DELETE] :

I restored a Ferguson plow with cast points and no tail wheel.
1. I had a John Deere modern "rock share". It is of the radix design, with a curved down point and 4 bolt holes, with 2 bolt holes close together at the short frontne torch to cut 2 holes thru the existing cast points, using the new 2 holes as a template. I then bolted the new radix point on. Now if I ever wear the JD point out, and if I can still purchase a JD "rock share" I will just have to make a new cut one on. Normally a point wears more at the front of the point and less at the rear. In the 1940-50, We used to have a blacksmith weld on a car spring to the worn out point, to refurbish it.
2. Since I needed to replace the worn out front/short landslide, .I used the remaining part of the JD rockshare, as the replacement, again using the old landslide, as a template, burn the 2 bolt holes.
3 For the long outside worn out landslide, I welded a worn out Ford radix point on the existing landslide.
4. I welded another 6"length of of a worn out point to the other point to gain 6"of permanent landslide to replace the lost tail wheel.

Lots of labor, but doing my own its free.

I now have a $400 + plow, that should last my lifetime, or 20 acres,, whatever comes first.

Charles Krammin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Implements Forum ] [ FAQ ]