Sunflower picker

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Implements Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan S (WI) on September 06, 2016 at 17:38:27 [URL] [DELETE] :

Hello,
I've been posting on the N forum about restoring my 1948 8N, however, I'm also and recently the proud owner of a good running fully original (but rusty) 1958 Ford 861 (with power steering and a 711 loader). Part of the deal with my wife for acquiring this tractor was that I had to promise to plant a sunflower field on a 4 acre parcel we own. I've done plenty of alfalfa, soy and hay in my younger days working on the farm but I don't know anything about sunflower planting and harvesting equipment. I'm also committed to using the 861 for these tasks so no special harvesters, etc. So here are my questions, sorry there's a lot :

* Will a corn picker work for sunflowers or do I have to look for a specific "sunflower" picker?
* Can a normal corn picker be easily modified for sunflowers?
* What are the common/best/easiest to get parts manufacturers for vintage/antique pickers (I like using equipment form the same era as the tractor)
* Did Dearborn make such an attachment?
* Will my 861 handle a 2 row picker, could I do three (if they exist) or should I use one row?
* Does one typically use a grain drill to plant sunflowers?

Thanks in advance for any help and/or direction!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Implements Forum ] [ FAQ ]